Closure and Delay Information
- The Vivian Olum Child Development Center will be closed when the University of Oregon is closed.
- When 4J Eugene School District (4J) closes due to inclement weather, the Vivian Olum Child Development Center will also be closed even when the university is open. When 4J has a delayed start to the school day, the Vivian Olum Child Development Center will also have the same delayed start (for example, if 4J announces a 2 hour delay, the Vivian Olum Child Development Center would open at 9:30 am). When there is no transportation/bussing service running for 4J due to inclement weather, Vivian Olum Child Development Center's bussing service will also not be available.
The Vivian Olum Child Development Center may make alternative schedule decisions, including full-day closure, delayed opening, or early closure, outside of 4J decisions, as needed.
This may apply in situations such as when 4J is not in session (for example, over winter break), if inclement weather occurs after 4J is out for the day (but before Vivian Olum Child Development Center's normal closing time of 5:45pm), or if UO closes when 4J is open.
Inclement Weather Policy
The Vivian Olum CHild Development Center's Inclement Weather policy was implemented in consultation with the university’s Safety & Risk Services unit, Human Resources, and the office of the Vice President of Finance & Administration, and is consistent with the other university affiliated childcare center, Moss Street Children’s Center.
While we recognize that the center may be closed during days when the University is open and faculty and staff are expected to report to work, the safety of the Vivian Olum Child Development Center families and staff is our primary concern. The University expects campus community members to make their own decision for safe travel based on location and circumstances, as stated on the Human Resources Inclement Weather webpage. If the current weather conditions cause teachers and/or administrators to be unable to travel safely to work, the center risks being unable to meet the state requirements related to the ratio of teachers to students in each classroom. In addition, following the 4J Eugene School District’s decision provides a clear and consistent way to give notice of delays and closures to parents as early as possible.
- No tuition refunds will be given for inclement weather closures or delays.
- For information about how the university makes decisions related to inclement weather delays and closures, please reference the Around the O Workplace article.
- For information related to Human Resource’s guidance on inclement weather delays and closures, please reference the Inclement Weather webpage.