SUBSTITUTE EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSISTANT TEACHER
VIVIAN OLUM CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER
Salary $13.73 per Hour
• The Vivian Olum Child Development Center invites applications for an on-call substitute Early Childhood Teacher to work with children ages 8 weeks to 11 years.
• Position is subject to criminal records check and possible finger printing.
• These recruitments are open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
• This temporary position is NOT eligible for promotions, regularly scheduled salary increases, layoff rights, vacation, holiday or personal leave, staff i.d., staff benefits, health insurance, disability or life insurance benefits.
• This position is eligible for COLA salary increases, sick leave and shift differential when specific hours of employment are met. Some temporary employees may be eligible for health insurance based on hours worked.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
• At least twenty semester hours (thirty quarter hours) of college level course work in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or Special Education; OR
• Child Development Associate (CDA) credentials; OR
• At least one year of full-time experience in a certified day care center or comparable group child care program or step 8 in the Oregon Step Registry.
• Current certification in Infant/Child CPR and First Aid.
• Current Oregon Food Handler’s Card.
• Approved criminal history registry through Oregon State Child Care Division.
• Be at least 18 years old.
If you are qualifying based on your college course work, please submit a transcript or list the applicable courses and credit hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
The purpose of this position is to perform the daily duties of regularly scheduled classroom teaching staff on an as-needed basis when these staff members are absent from work
• Interact with children in a variety of situations, including: directing large group activities, facilitating and guiding both small group activities and child-directed play, providing meaningful and individual caregiving routines, and providing one-on-one nurturing and support.
• In the absence of regularly scheduled staff, provide daily supervision to classroom personnel, communicating goals, objectives, limits and routines, and modeling teaching and behavior management techniques.
• Implement developmentally appropriate curriculum for children based on the philosophy and goals of the center, including preparing, utilizing and maintaining the physical environment as a teaching tool, and following established classroom routines and procedures.
• Communicate with parents as necessary. Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
This position requires ability to bend, lift, and sit on the floor with children on a daily basis; occasional travel for field trips, by walking and by car or van; frequent exposure to cleaning solutions such as disinfectant hand soap and sanitizing agents; frequent exposure to childhood illnesses. Work environment includes high noise and activity levels.
Please submit application, resume, 2 references, and transcript or Oregon Step Registry information (if applicable) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at 1650 Columbia St., Eugene, OR 97403.